36 - girl in


On a particularly bright and sunny afternoon, Rosalia Sasfy sat alone behind her desk and graded papers while the children played outside. It was nothing unusual, except for the fact that it was also the third Thursday in November and Rosie’s thoughts were back in Oklahoma City, where her mother was probably just getting out of bed and preparing for a long Thanksgiving with all of Rosie’s cousins, aunts, and uncles.
Over the last 11 months, it was the holidays that tugged the most at Rosie’s heart. Rosie was thankful when Juvie Velasco interrupted her work.
“Miss Sasfy,” why don’t you come out and play hopscotch for a bit?”
“Not now, Juvie. I’m a little busy.”
“It’s a bright and sunny day and you’ll be going home soon.”
Rosie glanced over the stack of papers and then over to Juvie.
“I suppose you’re right. The homework isn’t going anywhere. Let’s go kill the sun.”
“Nosebleed,” said Juvie as she touched her hand to her nose.
“Kill the sun? It’s just something my dad always says when he wants me to go into the backyard and pass the football for a while. It just means go play until sunset.”
“Oh, that’s funny.”
“I suppose it is,” said Rosie as she skipped to the far end of the playground where a group of girls were gathered around the hopscotch map.
“You wanna go next?” asked Maria
“Nah, I’ll wait my turn.”
Rosie sat between Juvie and Joy while Maria continued to play.
“How many more days?” asked Joy.
“Thirty-one, one month exactly,” said Rosie with a long, exasperated sigh.
“ Oh,” said Joy.
“Well, we all knew it had to come sooner or later,” said Juvie.
“Yeah,” said Joy, “but we wish it was later,”
“Me, too.”
Maria’s turn ended and Rosie took the stone and tossed it to the ground.
“One,” she said as she skipped through the pattern and picked up her stone as she passed by the 1 square. She continued on, working her way through the numbers.
While Rosie and the children played, the sounds of construction continued at the far end of Academy Road. The condos had been completed and the floodwall had been poured at the low end of the village. Now, the backhoes were digging a long trench at the memorial site. Throughout November, digging was so regular that the sound of construction was like background noise for the children. They were always relieved at the end of the day when the engines stopped. Today was no exception.
With the end of the working day came a visit from a familiar face. It was Arvind Lee’s assistant, Jaki Gomez.
“Looks like you guys are having fun! Wish I could join in.”
“You can,” said Joy, “just grab the rock and give it a toss.”
“Alrighty, don’t mind if I do.”
Jaki popped off her heels and took a turn at hopscotch.
“What are you doing here?” asked Rosie.
“I’m just checking up on the memorial project. I think we’ll be finished by the first.”
“The first of December?”
Jaki nodded.
“That’s pretty quick, isn’t it?”
“Not really, we’re always busy building something. Arvind wants the ribbon-cutting ceremony to happen before Christmas, but I think he’ll be even happier when he hears how fast things are going.”
“Good, I’m glad I’ll get to see the dedication ceremony.”
“Why wouldn’t you?”
“My term is almost up.”
“Oh, of course, I forgot about that. When is your last day?”
“I’m scheduled until December 18th, but I think I’m staying through the end of the year.”
“Wouldn’t you rather be home with your family for Christmas?”
“I think it’s more important for me to be here during the holidays.”
“That’s very noble of you.”
“I’m just doing what’s right.”
“It’ll be sad to see you go.”
When the horizon gobbled up the last bit of the sun, a sharp whistle came from the village. It was Mrs. Velasco’s signal for Juvie and Joy to come home for dinner. In fact, it signaled all the children that it was time to come home.
“Have you eaten yet?” asked Joy.
“No, but I couldn’t possibly impose.”
“You’re not imposing,” replied Joy, “there’s always room for one more down at the village.”
She grabbed Jaki by the first free hand and tugged her all the way down Academy Road. When they arrived, Mrs. Velasco greeted her with open arms. Meanwhile, she sent Joy to the hut to fetch an extra chair. When Joy returned, Mrs. Velasco motioned to her again.
“No, no, no, that’s for you. Put it at the end of the table. Miss Gomez will sit here at the table with me.”
After Jaki took her place, everyone bowed their heads. Juvie led them in a quick and quaint prayer.
“For food, for shelter, for life, for friendship and fellowship, we thank you our Lord.”
As soon as she finished saying the prayer, Juvie popped out of her seat and filled a plate for Jaki. Then, she continued around the table, serving the oldest to the youngest.
“I’m saving the best for last,” said Juvie as she handed a plate to Joy.
“Aren’t you hungry?” asked Mrs. Velasco.
Jaki had not realized Mrs. Velasco was speaking to her until Rosie gave her a gentle nudge.
“Oh, I’m just waiting patiently for everyone to be served.”
“Well, everyone is served, so you can help yourself.”
“It was nothing like the fancy meals she had while dining out with Arvind or Mary. It was a meager plate, with two scoops of boiled rice, a small serving of steamed cabbage, and a large glass of papaya juice. Still, Jaki savored every bite.
“How is it?” asked Mrs. Velasco.
“It’s simply delicious.”
“Are you sure?”
“I’m absolutely sure.”
For Jaki, the meal was definitely delicious. The rare chance to have a home-cooked meal reminded Jaki of her childhood in the barrio. It also made her grateful about the tsunami project.
As November came to a close, so, too, was the tsunami project.  Jaki put on the final touches with television and radio appearances on both television and radio, where she announced the December 1st ribbon cutting.
On the big day, Academy Road was filled from the bay to Jardin Sarangani. Several news trucks had parked in the Academy parking lot as a large mass of people crowded around the memorial and a small stage at the far end of the Road.
However, Eiselle had created a small VIP section for the people of Baluntay using the seating she and Lorna had hand-painted just a few weeks earlier.
A small stage, barely big enough for six chairs and a microphone, held the other VIPS. Arvind, Mary, Jaki, and Joy sat together on one side of the stage.  Meanwhile, Anne-Marie Kowk and Ysabella Marquez-Monroe sat on the other.
“I don’t know why Anne-Marie and Ysabella have to be there,” hissed Mrs. Velasco, “they’re stealing Joy’s spotlight.”
“You know what Arvind says, one hand washes the other.”
Arvind moved the crowd to silent attention with a few simple hand gestures. Then, he made a brief appearance at the microphone.
“As most of you know, I am a man of few words. Maybe that’s why I’ve surrounded myself with strong women. Without them, this project would not have come to fruition, so let me introduce my assistant, my project manager, and tonight’s host, Miss Jackilyn Gomez.”
The crowd applauded for quite some while as Jaki took her place She began by adjusting the stand, but when neither she nor Arvind could get it to the right height, she plucked the microphone from its grip and went mobile.
“Hey everybody! It’s such a wonderful surprise to see all of you out here today!”
The crowded roared as Jaki goaded them into applause.
“Like Arvind said, there are a lot of strong female influences in his life, and that includes the mightiest voice of them all. Joy Jaramillo, get on over here!
Joy stood up and tugged her chair to the microphone stand beside Jaki. Then, she stood atop the chair and motioned for Jaki. As Jaki held the microphone, Joy clamped her hands around Jaki’s and addressed the audience.
“Well, I know you all can’t see it, but there is this concrete walkway with a waterfall behind me. That right there was my idea.” Of course, I wanted marble, but I guess concrete is better. I don’t want anybody leaving until they get a chance to see my waterfall.”
The concrete waterway sloped down from the top of a small hill across the road from the village. It spilled into the bay as a short wall flanked both sides. A row of small blue tiles carefully decorated the wall. Each one held the name of someone lost in the flood.
Of course, it had Joy’s waterfall, just as she had requested. As Arvind and Anne-Marie approached the ribbon, they each held the pair of oversized scissors and cut the ribbon in a single chop. After they posed for pictures, people lined up to walk through the tsunami memorial. Even above the crowd noise, the sound of falling water brought some certain sense of tranquility to the site that had not been there just a few weeks before 
While the adults mixed and mingled, Joy returned to her friends.
 “Well,” said Mrs. Velasco, “Who would’ve known we had our very own architect right here in Baluntay?”
“I’m no architect,” said Joy, “That’s what Frannie does.”
“Maybe you’re not an architect yet, but maybe this will help.”
Frannie presented a small bundled gift to Joy.
“Go ahead…open it.”
Joy untied the little pink ribbon and unfastened the wrapping paper. For a moment, she stood there and stared at her gift.
“They’re drawing pencils.”
“I know…”
“I figured you could use them to design more great things.”
“Frannie, I don’t know what to say.”
“Say ‘thank you,’” said Mrs. Velasco.
Instead, Joy simply grabbed Frannie and gave her a hug. Hot, wet tears streamed down her cheeks.
“Oh, dear me,” comforted Frannie.
“Don’t worry,” said Herve, “Joy is a big cry-baby. Sometimes she cries for no reason at all.”
“There’s always a reason!” blurted Joy.
“Alright, alright,” said Mrs. Velasco, “just relax. I’m sure Herve didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”
Joy sighed wistfully as Mrs. Velasco pulled her away from Frannie.
“Thank you again, Frannie. I will treasure these drawing pencils forever and ever.”
“You’re welcome. It was my pleasure getting them for you.”
With that little bit of drama out of the way, everyone went his or her separate ways. Mary and Frannie headed back to the office while Arvind, Eiselle, and Jaki stayed behind at the memorial site to entertain the lingering guests and clean up afterwards.  Rosie and the villagers headed to the Academy while the crowds diminished. She returned to playing hopscotch with the girls even though Joy wasn’t there. She was sitting at one of the picnic tables trying out her new pencils.
“Is it okay if I join Joy?” asked Juvie.
“Of course it is.”
Juvie ran over and sat beside Joy. However, Joy was so wrapped up in her drawings that she failed to notice Juvie at all. Juvie just sat there and simply watched Joy for a moment hen, she planted a kiss squarely on Joy’s forehead. Joy glanced away from her work only momentarily to flash Juvie a smile. She handed Juvie a pencil and the two girls spent the next hour or so filling several sheets of paper with their grand designs and playful doodles. For Joy, life couldn’t be much better than this.
After the last of the visitors filtered out of the memorial, Arvind, Eiselle, and Jaki paid a visit to Our Lady Lupita.
“You did a great job emceeing today,” said Jonny.
“Thanks,” said Jaki, “but it really wasn’t much different than what I did at the cotillion.”
“Well,” said Arvind, “I talked to quite a few people and they were wondering if you’d be interested in tossing your hat into the ring for next year’s election.”
“As what?”
“As Province Auditor, because we need someone to run against Anne-Marie.”
“Oh, no, not me.”
“You’d be perfect for the job.”
“Who would you get for your personal assistant?”
“I’m sure we could find someone, sooner or later.”
“I like it right where I am.”
“Yeah, but it’d be good for you and the whole province. I think it’d be a perfect fit for you.”
“I don’t like politics. Too many people get in each other’s way.”
“It’s not all bad,” said Arvind, “like anything else, you’ll just have to find your way.”
“I’m not sure. Politics is completely evil. You end up compromising your morals just to get through the day. I am not willing to change who I am.”
“Well,” chuckled Arvind, “I’m in politics, so I hope it’s not all evil. Maybe things can change if you get in there. The election isn’t for another year, so just do me a favor and think it over.”
“I will,” said Jaki.
“Do you promise?”
“I promise, I promise,” said Jaki as she waved her hands in the air in a half-surrender.
The commotion around Jaki drew Rosie’s attention, and she used it as an excuse to break away from a marathon game of hopscotch. Regardless, the shadows stretched towards the far wall and the little bit of fluorescent light barely lit the playground.
“What’s going on over here?”
“Jaki’s running for Province Auditor,” said Jonny.
“Oh?”
“I haven’t made any promises yet,” said Jaki.
“Well,” said Rosie, “I think you’d make an excellent Auditor. You run Arvind’s entire company, and I imagine that’s quite some operation.”
“That’s totally different…”
“You just need to pull up your britches and get on that horse.”
“Noseblled!” said Maria as she pressed a finger to her nose.
“Oh,” laughed Rosie, “it’s something my pa always says. Before you get on a horse, you need to pull up your pants so you fit in the saddle just ride for horse riding.”
“I don’t get.”
“If you never get on that horse, even if that horse is running for Province Auditor, you’ll never know if you can ride.”
Jaki pursed her lips as a very determined look came over her face. Then, she tucked her thumbs into her dress slacks and hiked them up as if they were cowboys’ britches and mimicked spitting a wad of tobacco.
“Alright, partner, let’s throw my hat into the ring and see what happens.”
.

No comments:

Post a Comment